Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happiness is a warm inhaler.

Some updates from the new Apothecary/Art Den/Office/Play Room - our extra room has been referred to by all of these titles and has yet to have one stick. I moved my herbs and oils and medicine making accoutrements into "the room" the other day, because three digit degree heat and a big metal box unfortunately don't serve them very well. Heat can cause oils to go rancid faster, and herbs to lose some of their potency and color. So I will be crafting my herbal preparations in the house for the time being. Not so bad. Still no air conditioning in here, but its better than the mosquitoes and the heat compounded. A somewhat unsuccessful ceiling fan and a cracked window will suffice for the time being (at least the fan appears to be trying, poor thing, I haven't the heart to tell it that it's not helping).

Regardless, it's a busy room! Shabby, but productive. I suppose I've taken it over, Ryan doesn't spend anytime in here because its all my stuff mainly - books and art supplies and computer and herbs - and he's out gardening when he's home most nights but I DO spend lots of time, and it is in this room that a host of things are coming to fruition! My Bluebeard's Daughter project is going swimmingly! Quite literally. Yesterday we had a shoot at Hippie Hollow, took some water photos (and our breaks also) in the river. I'm very excited about it and the girls have been too. This makes me very happy. Here's a secret sneak peak at the series:


Don't tell anyone because it's not water marked yet, even this photo is still being tweaked, and I'm waiting to premier most of the photographs at the show because I'm a stuck up artist who takes myself too seriously.

In other art ventures, I have a new mixed media series that I will be crafting in ALL my abundance of free time in between working at Wheatsville, working at the Apothecary, filling out applications for a farmers market booth, building my OWN herbal line, failing miserably at playing on the softball team, working on the Bluebeard's Daughter project, being a contributing member of an intentional living community, and generally living/breathing/sleeping/eating. Naturally taking on another project makes perfect sense. The simple theme of this one is lungs. Representations of all types of the subject in as many mediums as my heart chakra can bust out. Mainly this was an obvious project because in the last year of suffering from - let's just call it what it is - chronic asthma and living off of a steroid inhaler, well I've become obsessed with all things pulmonary. Obsessed. From natural asthma remedies, to the chakra it corresponds with, to prana yama, and finally with the image itself.

I don't know if this will ultimately help or hurt or neither. Maybe reproducing healthy lungs, and also how their condition affects my emotional and daily life, and life view (which has changed significantly in the past year) will help me nurture a better relationship with my own respiratory system. Maybe we'll finally come to terms with each other, kiss, and make up. Anxiety, wondering where I would fall in natural selection were I without my heroic pharmaceuticals, limitations of control in our lives, and meditations on mortality have all been under consideration since the lungs took a big dump on my overall health. It has literally at times put me into existential crisis!

It's really strange to me also, because I've never identified myself as an "asthmatic" - it's never factored in, much less defined to a large degree who I was. Now I not only consider myself to be an "asthmatic" - I'm a full on "asthmaniac." It's practically a shtick, and to a degree I've embraced it as a humorous caricature. But, worst of all actually is that technically, my lungs should be healthier now then ever probably! I don't smoke, I'm not around smoke the way I used to be, I'm healthy nutritionally and physically, I take pulmonary health supplements.....what the fuck, seriously. I still can't get off the damn steroids and breath on my own like a regular person should and does and takes for granted every day.

Well there's a tangent, and here's the conclusion. Whatever breeze has blown in that's brought all of this artistic charge into my life, keep blowin'. I'm producing the most I have since school, without the limitations of deadlines or assignments. Whatever you are, just keep a'blowin - I've got my sails out and am just gaining speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment