Saturday, June 18, 2011

Opinion: Olivier de Sagazan "Transfiguration"

Speaking of performance art.

This is one of the most fascinating performance pieces I have seen in a really long time. The artist's name is Olivier Sagazan, and the title of the performance is "Transfiguration." Aesthetically, I can't help acknowledge the reminiscence of the video work of The Brothers Quay as well as Adam Jones who is responsible for most of the art direction in the stop-motion animation Tool videos. To be fair however, it is not known to me when Sagazan began this particular style of work, so whose influence came first (if influence exists directly or indirectly between the above artists at all) is unclear.

I've included two videos of Sagazan's performance. The first one, from what I gather, is a rehearsal before the official performance in the second video. In the second performance, the lighting is noticeably more dramatic, the physical performance more stage like, graceful hand motions frame the body (his literal body) of work. The pauses are a more affected, more intentional - and the effect is a more theatrical and self aware rendition of the first performance.

There are some aspects that I feel are more successful in the official performance, such as the order of his transformation. I like that Sagazan spends more time focused on just covering just his the face and that he remains in the suit longer,  incorporating its removal as an integral part of the metamorphosis. In fact, I would say that I prefer the overall pacing of the second version, the way it accelerates into a crescendo. I also enjoy, visually, the deliberate lighting compared to the first - although I do not at all think it necessary as far as content, other than for cinematic appeal.

Overall, however, I feel that the first performance is most definitely stronger. The variety of faces that Sagazan builds in the first version are superior in sheer volume and diversity, and have significantly more personality - making them undoubtedly more compelling. The emphasis is on the nature and process of each transmutation rather than the "show." I feel that the official is circus-y and I am left with the aftertaste of a sideshow. The main factor that sets apart the first performance for me is, in a word: sincerity. To me there is sincerity in the simple, the un-showy, the awareness that there IS no audience (although the presence of a camera is perhaps arguable in all cases - though not comparable to a physical group of onlookers). The first performance illustrates the form itself and is less about performance in the thespian sense of the word.

Well, judge for yourself (if you have the artistic gall to make it through the entirety of them both) and then we can resume conversation.

Transfiguration "rehearsal" performance:


Transfiguration "official" performance:


There is not much on Olivier de Sagazan in English on the web, his own website is all in French, however I did find one translation of a portion of his site via Coilhouse.net .The aforementioned art site is an exciting discovery in itself - so much so that I've added it permanently to my list of links, but I digress.

Translation from De Sagazan’s site:
“I will address here the question of the artistic process and the genesis of a work of art. My approach works toward a personal application of painted sculpture and some skill as a biologist. This constitutes perhaps the driver and the limit of my interpretation.

I will rapidly give the elements of my theory of sculpture: materials and elements, to then get to the center of the subject: the transfer of ‘forms’ between the body of the artist and the work of art. At the start: an impression, a vague form, poorly seen, at best without a face, sensed again with the gut, something which one wants to draw closer."
His reference to the "transfer of forms between the body of the artist and the work of art" immediately brought to mind the likes of Orlan... and that discussion is for another day all together.
My research into Sagazan's art is only still in it's infancy. To put it bluntly, this guy is really exciting and doing some incredibly refreshing performance and video work. Maybe you'll hear more from me about him in the future. I applaud your curiosity if you have made it to the end of tonight's post. If you are as intrigued with these pieces as I am, please lets collaborate on SOMETHING, for dear god's sake!

No comments:

Post a Comment